This is one of my NO BARS HOLD post.
Midterm Election 2018 is Tuesday, November 6. If you live in Michigan, then you know how important it is to vote. Michigan is a swing state, and it is time for us to turn it BLUE.
In order to end this swing state nonsense, we have to GOTV (Get Out The Vote). The House, Senate, and Governor all need to be flipped.
We need to put people in office that are for Michiganders. Someone that cares about:
- Putting Michiganders first, and not their wealthy friends and special interest groups
- Clean drinking water
- The elderly
- Public education (especially K-12 including special needs students)
- Special needs community
- Protecting our Great Lakes
- Fixing the “damn roads”
I could go on. But you get the picture. Actually you should already know this. So I am writing this blog post as a reminder.
Now it’s time to get down to the nitty gritty.
- Expect long lines at the polls on Tuesday. This might be a historic election. I am predicting a larger turnout than both of President Obama’s elections (2008, 2012). However, experts are predicting what could be the largest voter turnout in 50 years.
- Donald Trump’s rhetoric has his followers thinking they can say whatever the hell they want to say to folks. This shit doesn’t just happen in other states. It happened right here in Michigan a few days ago. My friend was talking to her young son in her language as they sat in a restaurant. Some random man stared at her. She ignored him. He stood up and called her a stupid camel jockey and stupid sand nigger. She continued to ignore him. Then he called her a dumb camel jockey, and told her to go to her country. The hate is real, y’all. The hate….is….real.
- Voter suppression. There will be NO straight-ticket voting for the first time in 127 years. No more filling in the Democratic or Republic bubble. We now have to fill in individual bubbles next to the candidates names. They tried to ban it for the August primary election but was unsuccessful. This is definitely voter suppression. A way to discourage people from voting. The lines are going to be extremely long and slow because a lot of people don’t understand how to read the ballot. I have never had a problem reading the ballot. I am a speed reader and I catch on easily. So the language on the ballot is nothing to me. Although this crazy ban on straight-ticket voting is going to frustrate a lot of voters, I sure hope they are able to complete it with no errors.
- Voter registration card is not required to vote. All you need to know is your polling location and precinct number. Live in Michigan and don’t know where to report on Election Day? No problem. You can find your voting location, precinct, and a sample ballot here.
- Photo ID is not required to vote. You will be required to sign an affidavit (statement saying you are who you say you are).
- The League of Women Voters of Michigan published a 2018 Nonpartisan Voter Guide. There is a form on the back page that you can complete, clip, and take with you to vote. You will not forget who to vote for this way.
- Let me know if you need a ride to the polls. I don’t care if you live in the Upper Peninsula. I will be more than happy to make that 6 hour drive to beautiful northern Michigan and take you.
Michiganders, I cannot stress enough how crucial it is vote this Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
Every election is important. Primary. Midterm. Presidential. But Midterm Election 2018 is serious business. We have the chance to make history.
The upcoming election is so important to me that I signed up to volunteer with the Michigan Democratic Party.
I went canvassing yesterday. I knocked on doors and spoke to a lot of people.
I also plan to canvass, work the phone bank, or whatever is needed as soon as my children leave for school on Tuesday.
As I step down from my soapbox I would like to leave you with this.
It is time for a change. There is massive chaos in our country. There is chaos in our great state of Michigan also. We need to elect those who will fight for us. Don’t just vote in Presidential elections. Vote in the primaries and midterms as well.
If you DON’T VOTE then you DON’T have a right to COMPLAIN.
If you live in Michigan, then it is time to GOTV. It is time to turn our state BLUE. So get up, get out, and VOTE.